Friday 22 October 2010

My first ever blog

Well then, the technophobe comes to the internet 2.0 feast!
They say you can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink, well Pam has managed the equivalent of trussing this horse into a ducking stool and between desparate gulps of sweet air as I surface I'll update the reader as to my movements.

I have shied away from this sort of thing before now because I tend to feel it turns us all into self-styled Pepys' or Bunyan's, writing for our immortal contribution to posterity; but I think we all know that after the asteroid all electronica will simply become detritus to the new society, useful only to the extent that it can help build a shelter, with all its miraculous complexity lost to survivors.

I have an excuse for keeping this journal though, as it is by the good will and funding of the Yorkshire Deanery that I am able to be away from normal work at the moment, leaving my colleagues short on the rota, to be in Liverpool studying tropical medicine at the School of Tropical Medicine. You may have seen it on the telly recently in Help I caught it abroad 2. I seemed to have been the only one who hadn't seen that programme before the course started. All the nurses at work told me about the eye worm, which I now to be Loa Loa. This blog can be part of my record of te time on the course.

The course is brilliant and I have been having such a good time. It is a great way to prepare for spending a year in the tropics. I have been looking down the microscope at different worms and other creepy crawlies and I can (hopefully) tell the different types of mosquito from each other.

One of the best things about the course is to meet lots of other doctors who are taking a leap into the unknown, and best of all for me is that two of them are my brother Mark and his girlfriend Steph. We had a trip away to Snowdonia the other week and climbed the mountain. I'll try to dig out a photo of us at the top and put it on the blog.

Thats all for now....


No comments:

Post a Comment